Saturday, February 25, 2012

St Augustine Indian Mission, teaching Omaha language, a new journey for me.

\

I spent my first two months doing curriculum development, researching, gathering materials and resources. I  spent time monitoring classes at the Omaha nation language program in Macy, which was very helpful.   This is my first semester teaching the Omaha language to grades K through 8th.  This is the small classroom in the library for students in  the lower grades.  I move to a larger classroom for students 5th through 8th grade.  I focus on colors, numbers, days and months, animals and common greetings, history and culture. This is the first time that the Omaha language has been offered at St Augustine Indian Mission and my first time teaching it as well.  Although I have been an educator for many years now, this is quite different. I am so proud to be able to be a part of this very special project. I really enjoy working with my young Omaha relatives and it is a real challenge connecting with the older students, trying to peek their interest. I will be forever grateful to Father Dave of St Augustine's for his vision and offering me this unique, unprecedented opportunity.
This has to be one of the best jobs I have ever had.  These kids are so bright and have such good hearts, I feel blessed everyday just being around them.  They pick up on things fast and they see things in a special way.  You can just see their minds working things out and read the questions in their eyes. I like to tease and joke with them, t

The Creator has been in my life for many years now and has brought to many special places and seen me through some very tough times as well.  He has blessed me time and time again, I see this job here as one of those many blessing he has put upon me. I wake up every day and give thanks toWakonda some days I'm short and simply say "Thank you God for this day," other times it is a thought out prayer. Today is Saturday the robins chirping woke me up and it was still dark, I was so grateful to have a moment with my God all to myself.

Some of my Omaha relatives learning the Omaha language & culture.